Prior to your PRP Therapy session, our physician will discuss what to expect during your treatment. However, it is helpful to remember that there are a few things to take into consideration before your session:
- At least five days before your procedure, discontinue anti-inflammatory medications
- One week before your procedure, discontinue any blood thinning herbs or supplements
- One to two weeks before your procedure, discontinue systematic steroids
- At least one month before your procedure, discontinue steroid injections
- On the day of your procedure, eat a full, healthy breakfast and be sure to drink plenty of water.
Please be advised that if you take chronic oral steroids, a discontinuation plan will need to be discussed with your primary care provider as abrupt stoppage may cause side effects. Interventional Pain Care does not advise stopping or taking any medication regimens without first consulting the doctor that prescribed them to you.
After your PRP Therapy session, we recommend that all patients rest on the day of their procedure. For the next 2 days, we advise limited use of the injection area, but movement is encouraged. This helps the joint recover as the injection is absorbed by the area’s surrounding tissues.
0 – 3 days post-procedure guidelines
After your treatment, there is a chance you’ll experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort at the injection site. This is normal, and it is a sign that your body is healing as it adjusts to the injection. It is best to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to help promote healing.
It is critical that you DO NOT take ANY medications following your procedure unless specifically directed otherwise by a physician. This is because any medication can affect the healing process or other adverse effects.
Therefore, discontinue use of any of these medications post-procedure for best results:
- Anti-inflammatory medications for at least 4 weeks post-procedure
- Blood-thinning herbs, supplements, or vitamins for 21 days post-procedure
- Systematic steroids for 6 weeks post-procedure
Other important guidelines to follow after your PRP procedure are:
- Avoid applying ice or heat to the injection site for the first 72 hours post-procedure
- Don’t take a hot bath or go to a sauna for the first few days post-procedure
- Avoid consumption of any alcoholic beverages for 2 days post-procedure
- Avoid baths for the first 24 hours following your procedure
- Avoid smoking
4 weeks post procedure guidelines.
At this point in your healing, you should gradually increase your daily activities. This is also when you can begin exercises. Proper exercise is a vital part of long-term results, and we can help you determine which exercises are best suited for your needs prior to your procedure.
- Ice can be applied 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes as needed for comfort
- Anti-inflammatory medications (such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen) can be taken to help manage any residual pain at this time, take as directed
- Continue to avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking, or excessive amounts of caffeine
5 weeks post-procedure guidelines.
At this point in your healing, we highly encourage you to begin physical therapy to aid in your long-term healing and continued recovery. A follow-up appointment will be made for you to meet with our physician or medical team to review your healing process. It is important that you keep this follow up visit even if your recovery is going well. If there are any adjustments to your customized treatment plan, this is when our physician will be able to make those decisions.